Don't Apologize Like AT&T

An apology with no corrective action tied to it is no apology at all. In fact, it’s an insult. When you apologize without any remedy attached, you’re telling someone “I don’t think I did anything wrong, but you’re a stupid, whiny baby who needs some words to feel better so here they are.”

There are several kinds of people who are the personify this: sports celebrities who’ve been caught cheating, wife beaters like Chris Brown, and AT&T Internet customer service representatives.

I don’t know who trained those people, but apparently they are told to insert the word “ma’am” or “sir” into every phrase, and to constantly apologize for everything.

  • I apologize ma’am for the inconvenience ma’am.
  • I’m sorry ma’am but this will take a few moments ma’am.
  • Ma’am, I’m sorry you had to call us ma’am. (Not as sorry as I am)

I don’t know who trains these people, but apparently they are told to apologize profusely, especially when they cannot fix the problem. Saying the words does not make it right. Saying “I’m sorry” or “I apologize” does not correct the problem, fix what you broke, or return trust.

Only action does.

When you apologize in your life, make sure your apology includes how you are going to fix the problem.

Don’t be like AT&T.

No comments:

Post a Comment