Instead of step-by-step how-to's, I wanted to instill in them a sense of the possibilities with Social Networking.
Here are a few of the key points:
- It is a "people" thing, and not a "computer" thing.
- All the rules of good networking apply: create visibility through consistent participation, develop relationships based on what you have in-common, and give first.
- Focus your time and efforts on a few key Social Networking sites.
- Manage your time: keep your eye on the ROI or you'll waste time.
- Don't sign up and abandon your profile after one day; apply regular effort to see results.
What are the benefits of Social Networking?
- Visibility: for you and your company
- Search Engine Results: Google likes LinkedIn
- Targeting: key contacts within companies you want to reach
- Selling: product and services
- Finding: lost friends and customers
- Relating: to current customers
I recommend starting with www.LinkedIn.com, because of the well-developed Fresno community, and www.FaceBook.com. Especially consider using Facebook's Groups and Fan pages to promote your business. Search for "Clovis is a way of life" to see what I mean.