More About Consistency

Hey! I've blogged two days in a row. So how many times does it take before you can say you're consistently doing something? I think it's easier to judge when you lack consistency because you'll feel it whenever you're not doing what you need to do.

For example, I floss consistently. Not like my mom (who flosses at least twice a day regardless of where she is) but probably 95% of the days. When I do floss regularly, my mouth feels normal. But if I miss two days in a row, I sure feel it the next time I floss.

Conventional wisdom says it takes 21 days to establish a habit. How many days to lose a positive habit? A lot less than 21 days. I would say one or two ... unless you've been on safari or under some extraordinary circumstance.

My inspirational figure for consistency? Michael Waltrip. On Sunday, he'll run his 1,000th NASCAR race. He remains one of the most popular drivers, even though he's only won a very small percent of those 999 races. You've got to admire a guy who has stuck with a sport this long even when he wasn't winning. And, he's sure entertaining to listen too!

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like NASCAR to shine light on even the most mundane life issue. :)

    ReplyDelete