How to Say No without Hard Feelings

"You must be good at saying no."

My friend Regina Leathers observed this after I told her that many, many people have approached me to be part of their direct marketing organizations. (If you can get the Membership Director of your local chamber to be part of your downline, go for it. They would be a very lucrative team member for you with all the people they meet.)

I realized I am good at saying "no". For two reasons.

First, it is much easier for me to say no than to agree to something I know I wouldn't be able to give 100% to. I'd prefer to not do it than give it a half-a$$ed effort.

Second, I never say just "no." I almost always say "No, but..." As in "No, I can't be part of your nutrition business, but I can introduce you to a lot of people who might be interested." Or "No, I can't be part of another committee, but I will forward the information to someone who is looking to volunteer."

I'm not able to give them what they want, but I can give them something else of value. It makes it a lot easier for them to hear "no" when there's another item offered. And, it tells them "I'm may not be interested in this, but I still value you and our relationship."

No comments:

Post a Comment